Sunday, March 30, 2014

Artist Wannabe

 




























Once in a while someone will the question at a party (usually after a bit of liquor) about what your dream job would be. I was asked it recently, and since then I've given it lots of thought lately because I'm dead bored of selling rugs and furniture and even the decorating side of my business if dulling me out. The truth is I've always wanted to paint. I not a good technical drawer so abstract and impressionist painting strikes my fancy. 

I found an art course that wasn't sold out, but the problem was it was for Level 2...not beginners, do I guess I have to fake it. Off I went to the art shop, pretending I knew what I needed and though together a basic painting kit. I've done color theory classes so know how to mix colours from primary blue, red and yellow, as well as white and black. The first painting one was a disaster. Part way through it looked really good, then I did what I've come to realise is my fatal flaw. I keep going and going until the paint is as thick as butter cream. My second try was a wee bit better, but again, I used far too much paint.

Yesterday, I watched a few You-Tube tutorials and ended up with my first piece that I actually like. It probably could use a few finishing touches, but I've left it well enough alone because I don't want to over do it.  

Tomorrow I start my lessons and I plan to post my classwork and any pieces I do at home.



14 comments:

  1. Love this Chania . . . very, very nice. Good for you striking out and DOING something you've really wanted to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chania, I suffer from the same affliction when I paint, not knowing when to stop. I love the poppies. What medium are you using? Have fun and enjoy your class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good idea to take art classes Chania. I always wanted to do this......
    I really like these poppies....your 2nd attempt looks pretty god. Will be interesting to watch your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chania......lovely. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! But I have a weakness for poppies. I love your impression of them. Good luck with the classes although I doubt you need luck with your talent. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chania - you're obviously a natural. You must know that. Stop teasing us with you modesty. For instance, whose is that flower painting with the blue background, in the background, if not yours?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the colors. Enjoy the class. Don't be too hard on yourself. Funny how we are so quick to see the things we don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. is this YOURS??? I love it, beautiful! Good for you for following your dream.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love it! It would take me 100 trys to get to that! You Rock!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Honey, if this is your First piece, I can't wait to see the next one ! This is Fabulous ! I want it ... I guess you want to keep it though ?
    It is really wonderful Chania .. keep painting ! You are Good !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your paintings! You have a talent. I want you to make me one for my hallway

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so good to see you excited! I LOVE your paintings. There is passion there.
    DeeDee
    www.KidNeedsAKidney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm going backwards and I'm liking them the more I see them. Love the color and explosion of flowers in this one. Ann

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each and every comment and are thrilled that you take the time to send one. Thank you so much. Chania