Sunday, November 23, 2014

Advent Clandar


The count down to Christmas is so exciting for children. I've always bought advent calendars for my kids, but this year, now there's a little one, I decided to make a family one. I went to Michael's and bought 2 packs of these little unbleached cotton sacks. I stamped the numbers on using black paint. I then went in search of a branch or something I could hang them all on. That wasn't too successful as it was too lopsided. I found a metal piece out for trash. It is one of those metal stands to hold an election sign on the lawn (or window, handyman etc companies). It was a bit sharp and rusty so I wrapped it in Jute twine gluing it as I went.


I filled the treat bags with chocolate teddy bears, snowmen, lady bugs, santas etc and hung them from the wire cage. Some I hung on a piece of festive twine so they would hang lower and the rows would sit right. I finished it with a few little ornaments and it can be easily leaned against a wall on the mantle. I am excited to anticipate the little one looking in the bags each morning to find her treat.




Girl Child's sweetie is thousands of miles away. She hasn't seen him in a month and will next see him on December 24th. She wanted to make a countdown calendar for him. She stamped wedding favor boxes with the dates and then filled each box with truffles, santas, snowmen and a few more grown up treats such as miniature chocolate liqueurs. In each box she wrote a little note folded and closed with a tiny clothes peg. 


We had so much fin making these. There are so many ways to create a personalized advent. And far better than those horrible waxy chocolates in the grocery store advents.

13 comments:

  1. wow, was für tolle bilder!!! einen schönen abend wünscht angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. I am holding on to these ideas. You are so creative Chania!! My son is not going to be here this year so I am sending him a care package. This gives me great ideas. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too love advent calenders. I bought a wooden one for my two nieces, now they have 2 more sisters and a brother. It is getting harder and harder to fit things in. What a great idea for your daughter's hubby. What a great memory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant, adorable, so Chania! What a pleasure to see your creativity again. i so miss you! Hope you are well! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both calendars are beautiful and ingenious. Lucky recipients.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You always have such wonderful creative ideas Chania. I love these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You bring so much cheer . . .
    great idea . . .for your little one and I loved the boxes for your daughters love . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are adorable Chania. I saw you at Mise's and had to come and see what you are up to and it is lots it seems!

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    xoxo
    Karena
    The Arts by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have a wooden one with tiny cupboards with doors. When my eldest was tiny she decided that a fairy left us gifts, so we are the only people I know with an Advent Calendar Fairy! Her younger sister is looking for one for her little boy right now. I sent her a link to this site.
    DeeDee
    www.KidNeedsAKidney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

  10. Super cute!!! Thank you for joining us at Love to idea, good luck!!!

    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each and every comment and are thrilled that you take the time to send one. Thank you so much. Chania