Monday, July 1, 2013

The BEST 4th of July cake...EVER

  
Light spongy cake with a drizzle of condensed milk and coconut...


 Recipe HERE. Please see note below...

Girl Child asked me to bake a Spanish Cinnamon Cake today for Sunday night dinner. Don't ask where she comes up with these random ideas, but this one seemed like a good one. I'd had honestly never heard of it, but after a little digging, I cake up with this recipe for Bizcocho con Canela a la Leche. It turned out to be he BEST CAKE OF THE YEAR. Traditionally eaten at breakfast with strong coffee, this cake is light and spongy and just the right amount of sweetness. I changed the recipe a bit because we decided it would be great with coconut and it was really fantastic. This is SO easy to make, it would be the perfect cake to make for 4th of July or Canada Day celebrations. We served it with strawberries, but a mix if blueberries and and strawberries would be great. 

The recipe is linked above but please note it forgets to tell you when to add the sugar. I added it to the egg whites when there were at the soft peak stage. I also added 1 cup of unsweetened coconut, folded in at the end and sprinkled more on the top. Poke holes in the cake with a skewer so the condensed milk drizzles in to the middle of the cake.

2 comments:

  1. Yes, this would do it for me!! Yum and double YUM!
    The coconut really adds the finishing touch. Nice job Chania.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good lord. I want a piece of that cake right now. I'm so going to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each and every comment and are thrilled that you take the time to send one. Thank you so much. Chania