Monday, June 4, 2012

Old-New Mix




























Our Florida living room is a real mix of old and new pieces, making for a very relaxed vibe. The pottery barn sofa is slip covered in white linen, but because everyone seems to like napping on this massive sofa and curling up with their feet on it, I took two very old postcard quilts and covered the seating areas. They don't match in color, but I like the mix of the new linen and the old soft, many times washed cotton. They can easily be tossed in the wash rather than wash the entire slip cover. 

The wing chair was my mothers, and although 1980's dusty rose underneath, is slipped in white. The rug is new (Dash and Albert from my store), the pillows a mix of old bark cloth made into pillow slip and a few new ones from Pine Cone Hill. The coffee table was an old 1980's table that had a peachy tone and painted vines. While hip when I bought it, I painted it white. Farm stool in front of wing chair and blue painted end table are flea market finds. The metal table with the lamp on it was the Raz Man's creation. He had his metal shop copy an old metal locker that we found years ago. It's on wheels and I like the industrial vibe mixed with the cottage like furnishings. Old rose paintings and ancient seashells from auctions fill the gaps. This room is totally for lounging, napping and piling on the sofa for drinks and chatter. 

I thought it would be a good fit for Nita's Mod Mix Monday found HERE

28 comments:

  1. Mixing it up like you have with your Florida living area is refreshing. You seem to do so with such ease and describe it to us with a similar ease. It makes sense . . .
    Such a decorator eye . . . Love it!

    Raz Man's idea is cool too.

    Your room makes we want to come in, kick off my shoes, sit down with wine in hand and visit for hours . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. You mix it so beautifully. I wish I could decorate in White. It really is so refreshing. I always feel the need to paint my walls dark. Why can't I just leave walls alone?
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It does look like a very good Nap sofa :)
    I like the way you mixed the covers, good idea !
    The rooms have such good light and the whole place has a cheer about it, very welcoming and happy.
    besitos, C ( from a very cold and grey winter day down here )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely love this room. So welcoming and comfortable. I think it all goes really well together and I would love a metal locker table like the one your husband had made up - it works so well in here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your idea with the covers, they just bring the whole room to another level. I want a nap.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully fresh and relaxing. I like the rug and lampshade most of all, but it all fits together perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so clean and bright looking. I love every single thing in that room!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it. Seems so cozy and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so perfect......I could curl up on that now and nap or read a favorite book.......

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a soft and comfy room. That industrial table is fantastic! I would love to have end tables. Stop in and see me at Quirky Vistas! I'm an East Coast South Florida girl. Found you at Mod Vintage Life.
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not only does this look comfortable, but it looks cool, as in temp. I sit here during a 96 degree - plus today with the ac struggling. Your Florida living area looks just so comfy, inviting and much cooler than the outside! All your unique touches make your Florida House a home. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is really great and you have used not only the new but also the old one. Great job.

    Lounges perth

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks so cozy - I could totally nap there right now...zzzz

    ReplyDelete
  14. Inspirational! We are looking for a little beachy place for part time retirement living, and I will be visiting your blog for more great ideas. I am your newest follower, and I found you at Mod Mix Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love a mix and match of patterns and colours and old and new, pieces that hold memories...such a loved and lived in room.
    Carla x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous - a perfect mix - just how I like it!
    Paula x

    ReplyDelete
  17. So inviting and cozy with the patch quilts added in the mix.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Chania, what a gorgeous room. I love your mix of print and colour. Those old rose prints just set it off so beautifully. I have a bit of a thing for vintage still-lifes like these at the moment. It looks such a happy space! x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gorgeous! So beautiful , how You have mixed the white and colors!
    Love it!
    Greetings from Finland:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. My husband keeps looking over my shoulder at your pictures! He wants to know if we can take the Canada house while you're in Florida and vice versa LOL! It is lovely in both places - you have a gift.

    DeeDee
    www.KidNeedsAKidney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have done this for years. Layer quilts on the couch. When you have pets, it's so much easier.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh Chania I'd LOVE to lounge on your lounge....The whole room looks VERY inviting....The colours, the grey piece next to the lounge & the floral paintings hung between the windows are tres YUMMy....!!!!!

    Have a WONDERFUL weekend Love....!!

    Cheers,
    Tamarah :o)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I featured your cute Florida living room today at Mod Mix Monday! I really love this room. It looks straight out of a magazine.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each and every comment and are thrilled that you take the time to send one. Thank you so much. Chania