Friday, August 17, 2012

Faffing Around
































As I mentioned in a previous post, I am on a kick to get rid of stuff. I am trying to scale back my belongings and keep only what I love, and generate more space in my house, drawers and even my car. I've been faffing around in every room in the house. Moving things from here to there, and sometimes back again. The Raz Man has a rule.....he'll only move things once so I have to decide exactly where I want it, if it is to heavy to me to move alone. Or I wait a few days when he's forgotten that we moved it already.

I eliminated a chair in the bedroom, and a large and crappy white bedside table in favor of this lovely old English Pine drop leaf table that a good friend gave me. She used to feed her family of 6 around this little table back in the UK. I am so pleased to have it and it works well as a night table. 

If you look closely, you will see I've switched out the curtains. These white linen curtains were in the living room, and now the gray, block printed ones are in the living room, which is going to have a makeover in the next few weeks.

Yesterday I dumped 3 bags of rubbish (old cosmetics, shoes, clothes, old cleaning supplies, papers, broken items etc, and 4 enormous bags to the Salvation Army. If I had to add up the $ value of all those clothes I don't wear, shoes that don't fit right, cosmetics barely used and all sorts of cleaning supplies and unnecessary things, I think I would cry. It's not just enough to purge, I need to actually get a feel for the loss of $, not to mention the trash I've made, to really my this worthwhile.

Heading up to a cottage for the weekend with the Raz Man and Frenchie. Balto (dog) had his staples out of his leg today and is allowed to swim tomorrow. He's such a sweet boy, we just love him.

Adopt a dog this weekend.!

16 comments:

  1. Wow, this bedroom is absolutely stunning. It looks like something from a place in France or Italy. It's so perfectly accessorized. My eyes couldn't take it all in quickly enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You guys have a very relaxing time!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, first up, I love your word "faffing"! I also love the pine bedside table - looks perfect. It's hard to get rid of stuff, no? I have to do that too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the pine table! and I really did try to adopt a dog two days ago but The Husband said it was the dog or him - I'm still trying to decide. Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do so love Drop Leaf tables. Enjoy the cottage...raining here on the Bruce Peninsula lightly at the moment, however the remainder of the wknd is looking good. Yay for staple removal and swimming !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it when you faff. That drop leaf table is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pine table! And the vignette looks so cute with that striped lampshade. I threw out so much stuff last year when we were packing up our place in muskoka and I could have cried then too. Glad that Balto is fitting in well xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your de-cluttering is turning me on!
    m.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like fun!!! It may be a little on the cool side.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Faffing" is not a word you ever hear here LOL! It sounds like a good thing, though. I think I should do some faffing....

    DeeDee
    www.KidNeedsAKidney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pretty bedroom! I love that headboard. I have the urge to purge lately too. I keep putting things into boxes that I just can't stand to have laying around any longer. I figure I'll have a garage sale and try to recoup a few pennies on all the dollars I've spent :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. you have such a good eye! what a beautiful room. interesting and yet still v restful.

    i think that is the most important thing to realize when getting rid of stuff, just how much money and resources were wasted! that is really what stops me dead when i'm thinking about buying new stuff.

    xo
    janet

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Chania

    I love the bedside table and the collecton of art pieces on the wall. I am particulary fond of the beaded jewellery pouches. Did you make these too?

    Have a glorious weekend. We are in Muskoka, where is it just bautiful

    Helenxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Feels sooo good to clean and purge . . . I am following you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Incredible how much stuff we accumulate and then forget about. Love the table. I like using "non-traditional" bedside tables also it's so much more fun. I would love to adopt a dog this weekend but I am only allowed one at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "If I had to add up the $ value of all those clothes I don't wear, shoes that don't fit right, cosmetics barely used and all sorts of cleaning supplies and unnecessary things, I think I would cry." Truer words were never spoken! Thank you for the clear perspective!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each and every comment and are thrilled that you take the time to send one. Thank you so much. Chania