Thursday, March 28, 2013

Clay Tag Tutorial

Custom name tags

The Easter Bunny doesn't get any cuter

Custom for a salon called Evolve....

Festive tags




My days work.....
I love to craft, and clay tags are one of my favorite things to make. I made 100 for my son's wedding. We tied them onto pots of homemade jam for wedding favors. They make a great craft project for older children too. There are a few tutorials on the internet. Some you pay for like this one HERE and some are free HERE. If you want to buy tags there are many on Etsy. You can hang them on wine bottles and gifts and also hang as decorations. See below for photos of my tags on gifts over the years.

Today I made some Easter Bunny ones, some for a hair salon called Evolve, as they are having a special event, and some for Baby Emma to give her aunts and grandmother(s). For Emma's, I hung ribbons and pompoms from the bottom as well  because I was feeling very FESTIVE today. 

You need. 1 tub of Crayola white modelling clay (kids clay) About $9.00. A rolling pin. cookie cutter, Rubber stamp and ink, parchment paper, a skewer to make the hole and doiley, fabric or anything that can leave an imprint.

  • roll the clay out onto parchment paper about 1/3- 1/2 cm thick...any thinner and they wil crack and be very difficult to handle
  • cut your shape with cookie cutter
  • stamp your design, or press whatever you wish to imprint into the clay gently
  • poke a hole for the string or ribbon in the top
  • leave to dry overnight on cookie sheet
  • you can put them on a cookie sheet in a 200 F oven for a couple of hours to speed things along.
  • tie on a pretty ribbon
THAT's IT...Easy and fun. HAPPY EASTER.

Wedding jam

100 heart tags for the wedding.

Bridal shower tags.

Hand dipped marshmallow treats.
Cookbook wrapped in a tea towel for birthday gift

A Celtic cross for my Irish friend's birthday

A pack of handmade cards embellished with a clay tag

Robins..my favourite
Wine tags

For your love......

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial! I have loved making Clay Tags since I first saw them on RAZMATAZ . . . over a year ago. Great ideas . . . to add to my list of hearts and shamrocks . . . The only difficult part, (for me) is finding the right stamps, small being best . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tutorial Chania...I have loved your clay tags ever since you so sweetly sent me some. I'm going to give this a go and see if I can interpret as beautifully as you do.
    p.s. I think the reason I love these so, is because they remind me of my favourite cookie! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are so sweet! I may give this a go with my next crafting day with my niece. Thanks for the tutorial! Have a lovely Easter with your new little grand baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so lovely!!! I've seen them on your blog before and loved them so I'm really glad you posted the tutorial. It's pinned and I will definitely be doing a ton of these. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved them the first time- I love them this time... Can you tell the joy in your voice? I hear it...<3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love these, you have such a great way with things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love these! I keep meaning to try them out but haven't yet gotten around to it. My new goal is to get back to my more creative roots, so this may be one craft that I try.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Chania,

    These are so beautiful, love the idea to tie them on jam jars. I am off to the craft shop with my niece tomorrow, so I will give these ago - thank you.
    Wishing you and your family a very Happy Easter!

    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your tags - still have my cute bunny ones from your giveaway - who knew that they were so simple to make? Happy Easter! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm totally inspired by this! Thanks for the great tutorial, I'll definitely be following you!

    ~Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am thinking of making clay ornaments and gift tags at my Christmas craft party next weekend and when I was trying to think of how to make them I thought of your pretty tags and came to see what you used. Is the Crayola clay you use the same as Sculpey? If not do you know what the difference is? Also how did you get the black on the imprint - did you dip your stamp into ink first? or did you paint in the imprinted area? Also how many tags does a $9 package make? Just wondering how much I need to buy. Thanks. I Love your clay tags.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each and every comment and are thrilled that you take the time to send one. Thank you so much. Chania