Sunday, March 13, 2011

Day 7- Weekend in Pictures.

I spent Saturday night moving furniture.  For some reason, I never seem to get my furniture to look the way I envision it in the living room.  My chairs are too big.  A mistake I made when I first started designing and bought these 2 gorgeous, well made chairs, but they really are too wide for my living room.  They were in the office, and I hauled them in here on Saturday night.  Then in came the black console to replace the dresser that was looking a little too country.  I really don't know what style I am.  I like that ethnic look with lots of Bits, I like the pared down farmhouse......really not a good way to be for a decorator...not being able to get my own house right.

And I painted the dining room.  It was Farrow and Ball Mouses Back..a dark browny grey.  3 coats of white later, it is white.  I am looking for a dining room table, but I have this enormous cabinet that is my favourite piece and I am not sure whether to get a white table or as close to this wood as possible  Pottery Barn has one that I love but I am debating the color match.  I tend to make mistakes in my own house.  Which means my kids have nice furniture.  I do like the way my globe collection looks against the white.

My girl was here for dinner...and my mama.  We decorated the table with Hyacinths so my mum could feel like Spring was here, and we grilled hamburgers to pretend it was BBQ weather. 

We whipped up a big batch of butter cream icing and made Vanilla Bean ice cream and a big chocolate cake.   You have to make a grand dessert when my mum is here as the nursing home food sucks.  Sunday Dinner is most important to her.  I sometimes think of what it must be like to eat with people that aren't your family every day.  Thank goodness my mum has some lovely friends at the home.

We ate cake and sat around the table looking at Google Earth images of my daughters new apartment in Toronto.  We were able to show her Granny all the shops and cafes on the street, and even the front of the apartment.



20 comments:

  1. Oh boy could I go for a big slice of that cake right now !
    besitos

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a busy weekend. I can't wait to see what you do in your dining room. I agree that is easier to see other people's homes objectively than our own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Now that is what I call a cake! Looks delicious. Glad you had a great time with your Mom. I bet it is a treat for her to be at your house. Your place is lovely and I love your chairs! Kit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Chania, Your home is lovely and I know the changes in your dining room will be too. Love the globe collection and the cake looks yummy.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI...Google earth is amazing so glad your mom could see your daughters home!
    I say buy a vintage dinning table in the right size & paint it!
    as for the cobblers shoes.....well i know how you feel!
    My house never feels done (The wonderful Producer/Stylist I have had the pleasure of working with on Mag articles says...hmmm no we won't be able to do anything here!...hahah ...!)
    By the way I think I may have the couch that is the same as your chairs!..
    Your room tho looks stunning, i really like how you put the black piece beside the chairs. Your armoire is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You certainly get a lot accomplished in one weekend! What a cake! So sweet to really make it special for your mum. I love your home and I know that it will look great when it's done. I have the same trouble with sticking to a particular style - there are just too many things I like that I just try to work together. It's all about what you like though anyway, and I think that's what makes it personal and great decor :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have just come across your blog from Laura's A Place for Tea. I am so glad I did, isn't it funny when you spend you career telling other people how to design your home that it becomes such a dilema when you do your own! So many styles you love and not too sure which one to follow. I love the cake, looks so delicious and special for your Mum.
    Jillx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Chania....!

    I know what it means to be conflicted when it comes to decorating styles....I think you've managed to a achieve a BRILLIANT balance with your eclectic tastes in your home as it ALWAYS looks so STYLISH without being contrived....And I LOVE how you combine your love of art....!!!

    I bet your Mum had a WONDERFUL day....I wish I could have stopped by for a piece of that SERIOUSLY GORGEOUS cake....!!

    Have a WONDERFUL week Lovey....!

    Cheers,
    Tamarah xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful cake, and good for you for creating such a happy family time for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! You are great at all those finishing touches.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like a wonderful, sweet, time was had by all!
    Oddly, I think it a good thing when a decorator can't quite decide what her style is...that means she must be always open and thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chania, I'm also
    wrestling with the
    redecorating bug
    at the moment!!
    Maybe it's this
    long winter and being
    inside, but I want
    to shake things up
    a bit, as well : )
    Your cake looks SO
    good and I bet your
    mummy loved it as
    well as her precious
    time with YOU.
    Happy Monday!
    xx Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well, if a designer has trouble with her own home I don't feel nearly so badly about mine! Your room looks lovely though. That cake is killing me! It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a gorgeous & yummy looking cake. Sounds like a wonderful day and visit with your daughter & mother. I'm glad to hear {well not really}, but it makes me feel a little better to hear you and actual designer have a hard time in your own home. I'm practicing being happy with what I have right now...even if it's not perfect & this makes me feel a little better about that. It's always hardest to do things to please ourselves as artists, much harder than for others. Good luck with everything, and thanks for visiting me : ).

    ReplyDelete
  15. i can't tell you how refreshing it is to know that you as a designer have trouble making decisions in your own home. or even admit to mistakes. thank you! also, may i come live with you b/c your weekend looked fabulous.

    xo
    janet

    ReplyDelete
  16. After reading your post I can almost feel Spring, she seems that close!

    And that cake looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Chania! Your cake looks delicious! Hope all is well in your world!
    Health and happiness to you and your family,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  18. From the pictures I've seen I think your home looks GORGEOUS, even if you can't find a style to call it, does it have to have a name? Call it Flare, as you certainly have that!
    Looks like your talent takes you into the kitchen too...that cake looks absolutely delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We have matching KitchenAids ;)

    I'll have to look again. The red KitchenAid toaster on Amazon was not as cute as I had hoped, and the ones on the KA website were not red. Or I didn't hunt very well.

    I Love love love your living room.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each and every comment and are thrilled that you take the time to send one. Thank you so much. Chania